Bernal Yoga Zoom Manual & FAQ
We are so pleased to offer live stream yoga during this time of COVID-19 “stay at home” status. Below you will find our recommendations to assist you in making this transition from in-person classes to live stream as seamless as possible. All classes are conducted via Zoom.
What is Zoom?
Zoom is a video conferencing platform used for virtual meetings, webinars, and yoga lessons. The Zoom website is https://zoom.us/.
Is there a cost to download Zoom?
For Zoom Basic, no. Zoom Basic is all you need to attend Bernal Yoga live stream classes.
Should I use my laptop, phone or tablet?
Online yoga works best when you’re using a laptop or tablet, as this gives you more real estate to view. However, if your smart phone is the only option, that is fine! Please note that if you are going to use any of the above items interchangeably, you will need to download Zoom onto each device, but you will only need to set up one account with Zoom. For smart phones, go to the App Store on your phone to download the Zoom App.
How do I set up my Zoom account?
Creating your own account
To sign up for your own free account, visit zoom.us/signup and enter your email address. You will receive an email from Zoom (firstname.lastname@example.org). In this email, click “Activate Account.”
Signing into your Zoom account on the web
You can log in to your Zoom account on the web at any time, at zoom.us/signin. Once you’re logged in, use the panel on the left side to navigate the Zoom web portal. You can update your profile, schedule a meeting, edit your settings, and more.
Updating your profile
You can update your profile by adding a profile picture, setting your time zone, updating your password, and more. To access your Zoom profile, sign into the Zoom web portal and click “Profile.”
Audio and Video
I really want to see and hear the other class attendees before class starts and/or after the class ends, and I want them to see and hear me. How do I do that?
To keep the community feel, Bernal Yoga welcomes a few minutes of seeing each other before the class starts and for a few minutes after the class ends. You can also enable your audio and video once you have been admitted into the class by using the controls on the bottom left corner of the Zoom platform.
Your audio and video will be enabled when the icons say “Mute” and “Stop Video” and do not have diagonal red lines going across them (see image below).
If your audio is disabled, you can enable it by clicking “Unmute.” Make sure the diagonal red line disappears and the text changes to “Mute.” Others will hear you talking, until the instructor mutes all attendees for the start of class.
If your video is disabled, you can enable it and show your face to others by clicking “Start Video.” Make sure the diagonal red line disappears and the text changes to “Stop Video.”
You can have your video and audio start up automatically by default, per your Zoom account settings. Check out this article on Zoom’s website to read more on how to set up this default function.
I don’t want the other class attendees to see or hear me before/after class. How do I disable video and audio?
The best way to do this is to set up your default settings within you Zoom account. Check out this article on Zoom’s website to read more on how to set up this default function.
You can also disable audio and video once you have been admitted into the class by using the controls on the bottom left corner of the Zoom platform.
You can disable your audio by clicking “Mute.” Make sure the diagonal red line appears and the text changes to “Unmute.” This will mute you, but you will hear others until the instructor mutes all attendees for the start of class.
You can disable your video (so that you are not showing your face to others) by clicking “Stop Video.” Make sure the diagonal red line appears and the text changes to “Start Video.” You can click on the icon again to turn your video back on.
I have my default settings to show me to the class via video, but prior to class starting or after class, I have changed my mind, and I don’t want to be viewed. Can I change this ad hoc?
Yes, there are two ways to do this:
1. When you are joining the meeting, a popup will appear. You have the ability to “Turn off my video.”
2. Click on the “Stop Video” icon on the bottom left of your screen, and make sure the diagonal red line appears and the text changes to “Start Video.”
How do I see everyone at the start and end of class? And how do I see only the instructor during class?
When you first enter the class, most likely, you are in Gallery View, which is the preferred view before and after class to engage with other attendees. You will see everyone’s videos on the screen (see image below).
When the class starts, your instructor will pin his/her video to the top. Click “Speaker View” at the top right of your screen to switch to viewing only your instructor. To bring the instructor into Full Screen, click on the icon with the four arrows at the top right corner of your Zoom window. You can exit Full Screen by clicking “Exit Full Screen” in the same location or by using the Esc key on your keyboard.
At the end of class, click “Gallery View” at the top right of your screen to switch back to seeing your classmates.
Taking a Live Stream Class
How do I register with Bernal Yoga for scheduled live stream classes?
You will need to sign up for your desired class via the schedule on the Bernal Yoga website or the Mindbody app.
Class registration via Mindbody will end 5 minutes before the scheduled start time, so please make sure you register early. You will receive an email before the start of class with a special Zoom link for that specific session.
Please make sure to check your email, including Spam and Junk folders, for the email confirmation with Zoom link. The email will come from email@example.com.
I am registered, and I have received my email with the link. How do I join the class?
When you join the class using Zoom, you will be placed in a waiting room and admitted into the session a few minutes before the scheduled start time.
1. Click on the link provided in the email.
2. After joining, click “Join with Computer Audio” to connect your computer’s speaker and microphone to the Zoom meeting. If using your computer’s speaker and microphone is your preferred audio method, check the option “Automatically join audio by computer when joining a meeting.”
3. You will be placed in the waiting room until the instructor lets you in to start the class.
Great! I am all set up and in the class! Now what?
You have been admitted to the class, but class has not started yet. Most likely, you are in Gallery View, which is the preferred view before and after class to engage with other attendees.
At this point, you can:
1.Mute Yourself: The instructor will mute everyone when the class starts. However, once class ends, the Instructor will unmute everyone. If you don’t want to be heard (or your household to be heard) to all attendees once the class has been unmuted, make sure you have “Mute” engaged (see image below).
2. Switch to Speaker View and Full Screen: Your instructor will pin his/her video to the top. When class starts, click “Speaker View” at the top right of your screen. To bring the instructor into Full Screen, click on the icon with the four arrows at the top right corner of your Zoom window. You can exit Full Screen by clicking “Exit Full Screen” in the same location or by using the Esc key on your keyboard. At the end of class, click “Gallery View” at the top right of your screen to switch back to seeing your classmates.
I see that Zoom has CHAT functionality. Can I CHAT with the instructor or others during the class?
No. Bernal Yoga has deactivated the CHAT function. Your instructor is unable to monitor CHAT and teach class at the same time. If you want to provide feedback to the instructor, you can email him or her after class.
Can I talk before, during, and after the class?
You are welcome to say hi and chat with your classmates and instructor before and after the practice. During the class, your instructor will most likely use a control that “mutes” everyone while the class is in session, and then he or she will “unmute” everyone at the end.
I am logged in and have been admitted to the class, but I can’t hear anything. What do I do?
Check the Zoom app to make sure you have connected your audio via your computer (or other device).
I can barely hear the instructor. How do I fix this?
1. Double check that the volume setting on your device is turned up. Though the audio is coming from Zoom, the volume is controlled by your device.
2. If your volume is completely turned up, it could be the quality of the speakers within your device. You may want to consider connecting your device to an external speaker, which will improve the quality and clarity of the audio.
Video was working fine, then suddenly it “glitched” or “froze.” Why is this happening?
This is called rebuffering, and it is due to your internet connection. This can happen if you are connected via WiFi vs. a direct connection to the internet from your device via an ethernet cable.
1. If you cannot wire your device into your internet connection, place the device closer to your router.
2. If many people in your house are accessing your WiFi network at the same time with multiple devices, this can decrease internet bandwidth, which causes the rebuffering. If you have multiple WiFi frequencies set up in your home, switch to one that is not commonly used. Otherwise, ask your family members to disconnect during the time of your practice.
What should I do if my internet connection slows down?
Make sure that your video camera is turned off (the one that shows you). You will still be able to see the class, but the teacher and other people won’t be able to see you. This helps decrease the load on your internet/WiFi connection.