Online Offerings at Bernal Yoga
While Bernal Yoga’s studio is temporarily closed due to COVID-19, we are offering Live Stream Classes.
Bernal Yoga is an important gathering place and community for so many, and we want to keep it that way. When you take a live stream class, you are supporting your beloved instructors and our staff, plus helping us with rent and utilities. In practicing together online, you help to keep our community connected and our instructors inspired. We hope you are staying safe and healthy during this difficult time. We look forward to seeing you in person at the studio when it is safe and legal to do so.
The schedule of live stream classes is available here and also viewable on the Mindbody app. You need to preregister for all live stream classes. There are Zoom “meeting” links associated with each class. Those details are emailed to you when you register and a reminder is sent 15 minutes before the class starts.
Besides the information below, please also check out our “Guide to using Zoom for Bernal Yoga Live Stream Classes.”
Accessing Live Stream Classes
How do I sign up for your online offerings?
Sign up for live stream classes from the schedule on the website and/or by using the Mindbody app. You DO need to sign up in advance for each class. Once you register for a class, you will receive an email with a link that can be used to access the live stream class.
If you haven’t taken a live stream class with us yet, please make sure to read our “Guide to Using Zoom for Bernal Yoga Live Stream Classes.”
I don’t see your normal schedule of weekly classes. Am I missing something?
As more instructors become ready and able to teach live stream classes, we will be adding in additional classes. Not all of our instructors are able to teach live stream classes during this time. They may have other jobs, additional caregiving and/or family responsibilities, and other things that they need to focus on and attend to. Please check the schedule frequently for new classes in the coming weeks.
What happens after I register for a live stream class?
After you register for a live stream class, you will get an email and/or text confirmation right away. In preparation for the class, you will need to download and install Zoom (it’s free!) on the device(s) of your choice. 15 minutes before the class is scheduled to begin, you will get a second email and reminder text with details about the class.
The confirmation emails/text will come from email@example.com. Occasionally, these emails may end up in your “spam” or “junk” folder. When looking for the follow up email, make sure to also search these folders.
Additionally, we request that you add all emails coming from bernalyoga.com to be directed to your inbox as “safe.” Your email provider will have instructions on how to do this.
For tips, please read our “Guide to Using Zoom for Bernal Yoga Live Stream Classes.”
How can I make sure I receive the class link that is sent?
To make sure you receive the emails and/or texts with the correct Zoom “meeting” link for each class:
1. Check your Junk/Spam folder. Sometimes, the messages may end up somewhere other than the inbox, so please look through Junk/Spam and other folders. We advise you to take a few minutes to check your settings with your email provider to ensure that all emails from bernalyoga.com are considered “safe” so that they come directly to your inbox. Your email provider will have instructions on how to do this.
2. Check your Mindbody account settings. Log in to your Bernal Yoga Mindbody account and make sure that your email address is current AND that you are subscribed to receive our email and/or text updates pertaining to your account, as well as reminders and schedule changes. (This step is imperative, as the links for your online classes will be emailed to the address we have on file in your Mindbody account). You will see something like this under the “Personal Information” section of your Mindbody account:
What devices and other types of technology are required for accessing live stream classes? Any tips or recommendations?
1. The live stream classes require Zoom access. Prior to your first class, make sure to download the Zoom app for desktop and/or mobile. If you are not yet familiar with Zoom classes, we highly recommend downloading the Zoom app onto your computer/device well before the class start time, so that you have time to troubleshoot any issues that might present. Click here to read more about our recommendations for getting the most our of your Bernal Yoga Zoom Classes.
2. We recommend a desktop computer, laptop, or iPad (vs. a phone, if possible) for quality streaming of the classes. You will want to position your device so that you can see the screen and hear the audio. There are Zoom controls on your end that have nothing to do with how the instructor controls the class delivery on his/her end. The quality of your audio is dependent on what device you are listening from and how you are listening (straight from that device vs. using a headset, etc.). You may need to turn up the volume on your device as well as on your Zoom controls.
3. Prior to the start of a class, confirm that you’re using your WiFi service vs. your cell service to ensure optimal connectivity (and avoid potential data costs).
4. Bluetooth headphones (ex. AirPods) or a plugged in headset are recommended for better audio quality, unless you have your computer/laptop hooked up to external speakers.
Pricing for Live Stream Classes
How much are the live stream classes?
Live stream classes are offered at a “Pay What You Can” pricing range. When you choose your payment amount, please consider that paying on the higher end will help ensure that Bernal Yoga will be able to successfully re-open when it is safe and legal to do so.
I have a 5 or 10 class pass with Bernal Yoga. Can I use that to pay for the live stream classes?
If you had any unused classes on a previously purchased 5 and 10 class pass on March 16, 2020, when we closed our doors to in-studio group classes, you can use them for Live Stream classes now.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
I have a monthly unlimited membership with Bernal Yoga. Can I use that to pay for the live stream classes?
For monthly memberships that are currently “active,” there is nothing you need to do to access live stream classes. We thank you so much for your support during these past few months. Please sign up in Mindbody like you typically would.
For those who have “suspended” your monthly pass anytime after the studio closed on March 16th, we have a few options on how to access the live stream classes:
Option 1: Unsuspend your current membership. Email email@example.com, and we will “unsuspend” your membership and send you a confirmation, along with details about how to access the live stream classes.
Option 2: Keep your in-person monthly membership suspended and pay for the live stream classes separately on a drop-in basis.
If you have any questions about your membership, please don’t hesitate to reach out by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will take care of your request and email you a confirmation, along with any further instructions.
How do I cancel or suspend my monthly membership?
If you want to cancel or suspend your monthly membership, please email email@example.com. We will take care of your request and email you a confirmation, along with any further instructions.
Practicing at Home
How do I set up my practice space for a live stream class?
Give yourself enough time to get your practice space set up to maximize your comfort and minimize distractions:
- Set up a yoga mat or something else that you can sit, stand and lay down on, preferably on a surface that is not slippery (especially for standing poses).
- Be creative about props. While they are not necessary for most of the live stream classes, they may be helpful.
- Dress in layers and have whatever you need for resting/savasana nearby.
- Turn off notifications, and let anyone who is sharing space with you know that you will be practicing.
- Have whatever else you need within arm’s reach: water, tea, reading glasses, etc.
I don't have yoga props. What can I use?
- Towels, blankets, cushions, and pillows can be used as padding for your knees, back, head, etc.
- Sturdy objects such as chairs, benches, sofas, and tables can help for balance, steadiness, taking a break, etc.
- Scarves, belts, bungee cords, dog leashes, or thick rope can be used in lieu of a yoga strap.
- Canned food, jars, books, or low tables can be used in lieu of yoga blocks.
- A washcloth, scarf, or sleeve of a long-sleeved shirt can be used instead of an eye pillow to cover your eyes.
I have a New Student Starter Pass with Bernal Yoga. Can I use that to pay for the live stream classes?
We froze New Student Starter Passes on March 16, 2020, when we had to close our doors to in-studio group classes. At this time, New Student Starter Passes cannot be used for live stream classes, as we feel that it’s important for new students to experience the studio and classes in person. Our plan is to add time to the expiration dates of those passes once we can open up again.
Is there any other way I can support the studio at this time?
Like many other family-owned, small businesses, this is a time of intensity, challenge and hardship. Just like you, we are going through additional stress and anxiety and all the other emotions associated with grief, mourning and uncertainty. Please weather this storm with us in the capacity that feels right to you. We want to reopen, gather and practice together again (in real life), and continue to serve you, our beloved community.
You can support us by prepaying for classes/passes to be used when we reopen for in-studio classes. (Remember that the expiration dates for any new purchases do not kick in until the passes are actually used.) You can also support the studio by purchasing a gift card in any amount through your Mindbody account, and paying at the top tier of the sliding scale for drop-in classes.